Sunday 5 March 2017

Watford 3-4 Southampton

When I woke up Saturday I didn't get the buzz that I normally do for a home game. I have found myself losing interest in football as a whole recently and although I will always be passionate about Watford I have lost the drive to get to The Vic recently. Now although I am more than happy to be 13th in the Premier League I have had enough of consistent uninspiring performances that get served every week. 

I wasn't optimistic as I headed along Vicarage Road but it appeared I should have had more faith (well in the early stages anyway). Troy Deeney spectacularly volleyed the hornets in front inside 5 minutes, the way he adjusted his body to find the top corner was remarkable. In another day of dross, the skipper still proves there is some heart in this team. But just like last week against West Ham the hornets couldn't build on taking an early lead. Instead we sat back and let a very talented Southampton team come on to us, it was no surprise we were punished. 

The visitors equalised when more slack defending allowed Tadic to drill in a shot past Gomes to fire the saints deservedly level. It is so frustrating that we wait for the other team to equalise before we go looking for more goals, well this week we didn't really get the chance to retake the lead. Shortly before the break Nathan Redmond skipped past the statue like Hornets midfield and defence before slotting past Gomes. The Saints went in at half time 2-1 at the break. 

The addition of Isaac Success gave Watford some more creativity and we were level when Stefano Okaka scored from the Nigerians cross. It was well and truly game on I thought and the owners shouldve been on the home side to go on and take 3 points. Nope that doesn't happen under Walter Mzzarri. 

The visitors restored their lead very quickly when Gomes spilled Boufal's long range effort leaving in form Gabbiadini with a tap to send the travelling fans into raptures. We didn't deserve to be level in the first place, I am not sure anyone knew what formation we were playing or how we were meant to be playing. A fourth goals soon came when Redmond again was allowed the freedom of Vicarage Road to fire another past Gomes. Docuoure pulled a goal back at the death but it was too little too late and Mazzari got exactly what he deserved. 

There is absolutely no identity about this team and I am affraid the buck stops right at the manager. Mazzari plays the most negative football I have seen at Vicarage Road in a long time and his questionable tactics/team selections don't make it any easier to warm to him. Why on earth would you play Younes Kaboul at right back against Nathan Redmond? It was only going to end catastrophically. Now if I and 20,000 others can notice that then why cant he. 

Furthermore the lack of connection between this team and the fans is horrendous, again the manager is behind this. How can you warm to a squad and a manager when you have to listen to everything he says through a translator? Not that I want to hear a word he says when he says things like "we deserved to draw" when it is quite frankly obvious we deserved ZERO. 

Theres no unity and there is no spirit at the moment and until either Walter changes or another managerial move is made then I'm afraid things aren't going to get any better. It is time Mazzari fronted up to some of the clear errors he is making, if he did I don't think anyone would be half as angry with him or the team. What makes it worse is that this is the most talented squad we have ever had in the modern era and they aren't producing half of what they could. Maybe if we played a suitable style their full potential would be unleashed. 

For now though we stick with the football club and we move on to Palace away in two weeks time. The fact the away end hasn't sold out says enough to me and surely the board should see that too. 

I really don't want to be negative but after yesterday I really don't feel like theres anything positive to say. 

We go again!

You 'Orns!

Watford 3-4 Southampton 

Man of the match- Stefano Okaka- he held the ball up well and neatly took his goal. I would have him start again against Palace. 

Pogba v Capoue- I cant believe I even thought this feature was a good idea. Although when Capoue is playing as a wide midfielder then you cant blame him. 

Next game: Crystal Palace (A): 


@Adzrowe on twitter 

No comments:

Post a Comment