Sunday 12 February 2017

Manchester United 2-0 Watford

Manchester United at Old Trafford was always going to be a difficult game for The Hornets and it proved to be the case, as the Red Devils took all 3 points.

As I headed north I was some what optimistic about what we could get from the game, but did accept that Man United are on a fine run of form meaning it would be very difficult. However hard the game is I don't think you can ever travel to a game willing to accept defeat.

This was my first ever trip to Old Trafford and it didn't get off to a good start as I broke my phone beyond repair on the way up. This meant I had to buy a new phone from the second hand shop, thankfully I had a sympathetic Dad who transferred the money!!

After the bad situation i'm going to name "iPhone gate" I headed for my usual pre match pint and made the journey to the ground. It is embarrassing to see just how many southern accents you could hear amongst the United fans. There were many that we saw on train from the south, makes you appreciate supporting your local team.

Old Trafford as a stadium is mammoth in size but I have to say it doesn't particularly caputre the imagination that I thought it might. It is just a big football stadium in fairness. I don't want this to come across bitter because the result doesn't effect my opinion on a club or their stadium!

The game it self was an open one with plenty of chances for both teams, particularly United. Watford started well in the opening 20 minutes and nearly found The opener through a long range Jose Holebas thunderbolt, however it flashed past the post. Mauro Zarate went for a spectacular overhead kick but it went straight at De Gea.

After a promising opening 20 minutes, the hosts came right back into the game and created numerous chances. Gomes made countless saves to keep Watford alive put the pressure proved too much as the hosts eventually took the lead. Martial's cut back was tapped home by Mata, it was more than deserved as United had so many clear cut chances.

I have to say we didn't at all respond to going behind and sort of let United play for the final moments of the half, there seemed to be a complete lack of belief. Something I find strange baring in mind are two previous games. The half came to a close with United only being one goal to the good.

The second half was much better with The Hornets moving the ball well at times but there didn't create too many clear chances. Mauro Zarate did force De Gea into a world class save as the Spaniard tipped round a free kick from roughly 25 yards out.

However United secured all three points when Capoue lost the ball and Martial slotted past Gomes following some neat build up play by the Man United midfield.

Deeney tested De Gea with a strong shot after superbly holding off Eric Bailly (who is superb by the way). Niang fizzed a ball into the six yard box but there wasn't a white shirt attacking the ball.

The game meandered to a close with United deservedly taking the points but left quite a few positives for Mazzari to take from our second half performance. All in all its 3 points against Man United this season most take absolutely none.

I write this as I watch a relegation six pointer between Swansea and Leicester, I feel grateful that for now we aren't in a dog fight. A couple more wins and I believe we are safe, with lots of winnable home games to come to!

All in all a good day and I know full well we will be returning to Old Trafford in the Premier League next season.

Onto West Ham in a couple of weeks- we best win that one a lot of my pals at uni are West Ham fans!!

You 'Orns!

Manchester United 2-0 Watford

Hornets man of the match- Gomes- made some superb saves to keep Watford in it.

Game rating- 5/10

Away day rating- 5/10

Iphones purchased- 1


@Adzrowe on twitter


No comments:

Post a Comment